Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Fat Kid Begins

Some of us have been eating the the fat kid for a very long time. At every meal, it is the fat kid saying, "You know what would be great? If this sandwich had just a little more mustard, a layer of red peppers, and a seeded crust. Now THAT would be a sandwich." The fat kid is thinking about what to have for dinner during brunch, and what to have for brunch pretty much all the time. The kingdom of the fat kid is all things food or food related - he is equally at home in a Wendy's parking lot, a Whole Food's fish counter, and a Willamette Farmer's Market. The fat kid does not fake his enthusiasm, because he doesn't have to; the fat kid knows it is food that unites us and food that will divide us if we're not extremely careful. Most importantly, the fat kid knows we have a limited number of meals on this planet, and it is a shame to waste even one.

1 comment:

Regina WB said...

My favorite meal is brunch. Mimosa, Bloody Mary, pancakes, eggs (runny centers), coffee with cream, OJ, croissant, jam(s)and other toppings. Fresh fruits. The All American Brunch is my favorite, and here in Europe there's really nothing like it. I am not at one with the continental breakfast. I also like a Mexi-Brunch to spice it up once in a while.

True, there are many deep topics that my boyfriend and I could discuss. But what we like to talk about it food. "What did you eat for lunch?"-me "Pasta, olives, a coca-cola and one of those pears from the market. It was sweet.The pasta wasn't great." -him. "What should we make for dinner?"-me. And so it goes.

Blog on fat kid; I hear you loud and clear.